According to local sources, a group of local landowners originally founded Head’s Store as St. Albans General Store with a variety of proprietors renting and operating it until 1915. That year, the website indicates that John Pfeiffer purchased the store and proceeded to live in it and raise his family.
In 1941 his daughter Mae Pfeiffer Head bought the store and changed its name to Head’s General Store. She ran it until her death in 2002. Shortly thereafter, Thom Sehnert, a valued customer, and proprietor of Annie Gunn’s leased and operated the store.
Built by the same architect, Theodore Link, who designed St. Louis’ Union Station, the Studio Inn served in the 1900’s as the summer home of Irene Walter Johnson, wife of Oscar Johnson, one of the co-founders of the International Shoe Company. Johnson opened the Old Barn Inn in 1928 to entertain family and friends and ran a restaurant in the venue in the 1950’s.